Wednesday, November 11, 2009

GAME PLAN!!!!

When I first looked at this week’s blog post I thought about how I am the assistant varsity girls basketball coach in the district that I teach and we are just getting started with basketball. I was thinking to myself what would my game plan be before I coach a game? I was trying to think about how I would approach that type of situation and then how I would apply it to this class.

MY GAME PLAN:
G: The two areas of the NETS-T that I would like to strengthen are “model digital-age work and learning” and “engage in professional growth and leadership”. The district that I am in has moved to looking at all the data that can be collected to drive our instruction. The one performance indicator for this topic is to “model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning”. I am starting to implement this in my class with the SMART Response clickers that I just got to use in my classroom. This is a great way to collect, analyze, and evaluate my teaching and what the students are learning. The other area that I would like to strengthen is engaging in professional growth and development. The performance indicator that I would like to address in this is “evaluate and reflect on current research and professional practice”.

A: The first action that I am taking now is trying to get all the teachers at the building that I teach in to be able to get a set of the SMART Response clickers for data research. I think that the information and data that they are able to collect are essential for driving instruction. I would also like to be able to get the teachers the proper training so that the use of the new technology would be like second nature for the teachers to be able to use. The clickers allow for the students to get instant feedback on what they are doing well or not and I can also get instant feedback with which students understand a concept and those that are struggling without the students being put on the spot.

M: The ways that I am planning on monitoring this is by collecting all the data that is available for information and then share the results with the other teachers in the building. This would be something that would be easy to monitor because the software for the SMART Response clickers is there and I can show the students a spreadsheet that will allow them to see their own personal progress. The goal that I think will be hard to follow is going to be communicating in global communities. I am not sure where to other school that I would be able to collaborate with. I hope that I will be able to find another school that I would be able to communicate with and get other ideas.

E: The way that I would evaluate my learning would be to look at all the things that I have implemented and see if what I am doing is working and are the students grasping the concept? The other way that I will evaluate my goal is by checking to see if I have accomplished what I have wanted to with my goals. If I have then I would be really happy. If not then I would have to look to see if there was anything that I would have to reevaluate with my goals.


National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) located at http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf.

3 comments:

  1. If your SMARTboard Response clickers are anything like our Promethean Board Activotes, it is a great system. When I have used the Activote system in the past, my students felt like they were playing a game. On the Promethean Board, you can see when all students have imput their answers. You can also display everyone's answers annonymously as well as the correct answer. Not only do you receive immediate feedback, but so do the students. Then what I think is the best feature is the answer database that is exported to an Excel spreadsheet.

    Students see it as a game show and not a test or assignment. You get immediate data that can direct your future lessons. It is win-win for everyone. Good luck on getting the rest of your staff on board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Modeling your use of technology to assist and guide others in growing professionally is such a great goal. It has such a far-reaching effect in that it will not only benefit your children, but also all the students in the school. I have used the Sentio systems and I have found them to be so useful and fun. Are you going to be trying to garner money from your school ,district, or through grants?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desiree,

    The SMART clickers are things I really want to use more in my classroom too. From what I have seen of them, they are pretty cool and the results are immediate to better drive instruction.

    I hope I can get a set to use soon.

    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete