Sunday, November 1, 2009

EDUC 6712: Reflection

I have had a couple of revelations while teaching new literacy skills to my students. The one that is most striking is that I need to change the way that I am teaching my students the new literacy skills to help prepare them for the future. Technology is changing so fast that every year I feel that I need to teach my students how to obtain valid information from all the different resources that are out there. The other revelation that I had was there are a vast amount of skills necessary for our students to be competitive in a world-wide work force. Up until this point in our society students were only responsible for reading, writing, and remembering. In today’s society the students must be able to solve advanced problems and must have technical and self motivational skills.

The knowledge that I have gained over these past eight weeks has made me realize that I need to become more fluent in the new literacy skills. The new literacy skills were something that I had never heard of before this class so I need to become well versed in them so that I can convey those skills onto my students. The more versed that I am in the skills the more likely I will be able to convey them to my students so that they can become more technologically advanced.

Some professional goals that I have are to learn more about different technology skills and model different ways to connect with other people. The way that I plan on learning about different literacy skills is through reading up on the internet on the new technology that is out there. The way that I would like to connect with other people is by having mu students share information on a class blog. I would like to be able to find a class that is studying the same things that I am in another school that my classes would be able to communicate with. I think that the students would be able to learn more from students that are doing the same things.

No comments:

Post a Comment