Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Instructional Strategies

Throughout the reading this week I noticed that technology can be used in several ways. I think that the most effective way that it can be used is through reinforcement. I think that through reinforcement students grasps the concepts that are being taught and realize that with a little extra effort on homework and through practice that they are better able to understand a concept that is being taught in my class. I was just at a workshop today and looking back at the readings for this week I think that what was discussed today would be a great tool. The workshop was on using different types of assessments in the classroom so that as a teacher I could get immediate feedback without the kids even knowing. I could do the assessments before, during, or after a standard is taught. The one assessment that I was really drawn into was the clicker that goes along with a SMART board. It gives feedback right away. There were so many things that I was thinking about while I was going through the training and how I could use this technology in my class. Through the clickers students will be able to monitor their progress along with I will be able to monitor where they are weak. This will be an instant “are they getting it or not” checker.

Homework and practice I believe should be for reinforcement not busy work. Students know when a teacher is just giving them something to keep them occupied and that is meaningless. At times I know that I fall into the phase of giving homework as busy work so that I can get some things done. The positive reinforcement that I started though and that had the students really excited was a ten day homework challenge. The students loved it and it was a great way to have positive reinforcement from each of the students and having all the students work towards a goal. The thing is though I have those one or two students that just refuse to do the work no matter how simple the assignment. I am at a loss for what to do for those kids. I have tried all types of things to no avail. The worst one of the bunch is the one that has been held back. You would of thought that not advancing to the next grade would be some sort of motivation. That is not the case he is as lazy as ever. I hope to find something that motivates this child.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Desiree,
    The workshop you went to sounds fantastic. I recently received a new Smartboard and clickers for my classroom. My kids love them because it is like a video game to them. This summer I will be trained in how to create clicker assessments but right now I'm downloaded them from SmartTechnology.com. The other feature I like with the Senteo Clickers is you can focus on assessing certain students to track their achievement. Lots of possibilities!
    All the Junior High Schools and High Schools are being equipped with smart boards do you have one in your room and if so how do you utilize this fabulous technology with your students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I do have a SMART board in my classroom and I use it just about every day. I love the advancements and all the possibilities that are able with it. I would love to be able to have my own set of clickers in my classroom. I feel like they would be a great asset to me and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desiree,
    I do not have clickers but the teachers that do absolutely love them. I also have a Smartboard, my students love it. My goal this summer is to create more lesson for engaging students. I am also going to have students create lessons, quizzes and test for other students.

    How do you use your Smartboard?

    What kind of homework do you assign? How often?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Desiree,
    I would love to teach a class where clickers are appropriate. A few math and science teachers have them in my district and they love them. The feed back is quick and helps the teacher track the level of classroom comprehension.

    I teach choir so I have to be on my feet making assessments moment by moment. However, practice is a very necessary part of what builds a great choir. My motto, which the students repeat with me when I say it is, "practice makes permanent not perfect." It is so true because if you memorize a method or a fact incorrectly it takes even longer to change the mistake than if you had just gotten right in the first place.

    ReplyDelete