Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Congnitive Learning Theory

Dr. Orey talks about cognitive theories and the “integrating multiple senses in presentation improves learning” (Laureate Education, 2008). I think that is so true in education that children need to be exposed to information in multiple ways. Not all the students obtain the information from lecture and the more senses that are hit the more likely that the students are about to retain the information that is being taught. The thing that was shocking to me was when Orey said that “short term memory can process 7 +/- 2 pieces of information at one time” (Laureate Education, 2008). Sometimes I wonder when there is a whole bunch of things going on why I cannot remember what was said. I can now chalk it up to the fact that I cannot process the information in my short term memory. The thing that I use in my math class is songs. I know that all the kids know all the words to a lot of the rap and Hannah Montana songs and who knows what else. So, I incorporate songs into my class. The songs that I use are ones that have familiar music that the students know, but the lyrics are math lyrics. At first the students laugh and think that the songs are funny and ridiculous, but by this time of year they are asking to hear the music. I think that this is a “episodic experience” (Laureate Education, 2008)that the students can relate to for the most part and that will help them to remember.

When it comes to concept mapping I never really knew what it was until this week when it was part of this week’s assignment. With how much the students want to text and get on myspace I know that the use of technology is very important to the kids learning in schools today. Something that Orey said in the video that I think plays a key role in concept mapping is allowing the learners to see what they are creating visually. With the concept map the students are able to organize the information that is being presented and map out what they are going to be doing. The primary method of storing information in long term memory is through elaboration. Through elaboration students can build on prior knowledge and use informational images to help them to recall a fact. There are many students in my classes that will be mouthing the words to some of the math songs when they are taking a test or a quiz. That is the way that they have stored their information and that is the way that they are going to recall it from memory. Through the concept map the students will be able to draw pictures that will allow them to connect and then retrieve the information later.


Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Bridging learning theory, instruction, and technology. Baltimore: Author.

4 comments:

  1. Desiree,
    I have also used songs in my classes. Instead of me singing the songs my students have written and sung the songs for the stages of mitosis. I think that is a good example of an episodic memory because they had a good time creating and performing the song which lead to them remembering the stages later for the test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea that you use songs in your class. We had a math teacher who did that and not only did the kids love it, they also learned a lot from it! Do you create your own songs? I think its great to make the connection between something kids love (music) and something they need (math). Connections always help create concrete memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arielle,

    I have not made any songs myself in my class. I have looked into some newer songs that the students know the beat to and have been trying to think of words to the songs that go over things that I will be teaching next year. It is a great way to make connections in math and I think that the students get a lot out of it. Thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arielle,
    I haven't sang songs in my class, but I have used the Grammar Rock series of videos to use as reinforcement. You are right the kids love to sing and by doing so helps them make connections and remember.
    I noticed some of my students mouthing words from Grammar Rock while they were taking a language arts test. I thought that was great, until one student started singing out loud. I stopped him and everyone continued. I guess he was so into the song, he didn't realize he was singing so everyone could hear him. It was actually pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete