Sunday, July 19, 2009

Writing Research Questions

Week 3: Research Question
EDUC-6653I-2 Introduction to Educational Research
Instructor: Kathryn Arnold

I made a couple of changes to my original problem statement After doing the research for this week I believe that my questions are all qualitative. I hope that from the research that I am conducting here that I will be able to take some of the data back to my school and maybe we will be able to implement some of the techniques in our district. I know that for our school the special education students are the ones that do not grasp the concepts as quickly as the regular education students. I would like to know a way that we will be able to get those students that struggle in math to be successful. I know that it is not just the special education students, but I think that this is a great place to start.

My problem statement:
I plan to determine if skill and drill practice with technology programs and online tutorials help middle school special education students with their standard based test scores differently than those special education students taught through traditional class examples.

The questions I would like to address are:
1. What types of tutorial sites are available to help students with math concepts? (Qualitative)
2. Will students who use only the online skill and drill practice have better scores then those students who are taught traditionally? (Qualitative)
3. What types of technology based programs work better for the special education students? (Qualitative)
4. How are standard based tests scores affected? (
5. How much background knowledge is needed for use of the online programs? (Qualitative)
6. How will I assess the students to know that they are progressing? (Quantitative)
7. What impact does not using the textbook have on the students better grasping a concept? (Qualitative)

Any help that I could get on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for all your support.

Desiree

1 comment:

  1. Desiree,
    I like your new set of questions, but I was wondering why you didn't include math in your problem statement? Are you looking only at math scores or all subject areas? I think you have some very good questions that will help you in your research.
    Gayla

    ReplyDelete