Saturday, July 11, 2009

General Problem Statement

Week 2: Purpose/Problem Statements
EDUC-6653I-2 Introduction to Educational Research
Instructor: Kathryn Arnold

I plan to determine how skill and drill practice with technology programs and online tutorials will help middle school special education students with their standardized math scores differently than those special education students taught through class examples and book work.

Who: middle school special education math students
What: use technology for skill and drill websites and programs
Why: to increase test scores on the state standardized test

3 comments:

  1. I really like this idea! I would love to see the results, as I teach a lot of SPED and ESOL students. I would also love to see the sites you plan to use so I can try them out, too! :)

    Deana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am a big fan of your topic! Many teachers in my district get chastized for "skill and drill" by higher-ups. We are told we should be teaching the process, not just memorization. However, I have fifth graders that often struggle with basic multiplication facts, so I think skill and drill is the way to go! Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Deana and Rachel for your comments. I hope that I can get some great resources that I will be able to share with the two of you. I know that my school is really big on "data" and I think that if there is data to back up something that the higher ups are more willing to try the idea

    ReplyDelete