Thursday, June 4, 2009

Cooperative Learning

I think that the social learning theory is a great way to learn and I think the majority of people not only students learn this way. It is hard for students to learn when they are not actively engaged. I know personally if I am not actively engaged in something that I do not really pay attention. I know that I have ADHD and it is hard for me to focus for more than five minutes. So there are a lot of students that have ADHD and I know that they need something that is engaging in order for them to remember what is being taught.

The resource that I think is very useful is web quests. In using technology with classroom instruction that works they talk about web quests and their uses (Pitter, Hubbell, Kuhn, Malenoksi, 2007). Web quests are able to be used by individual students in classes and they are able to be used by people from all over the country if not world. I think this is a great thing to do in teaching and this allows for lifelong skills of collaboration. Students will have to collaborate when they get into the real world in every profession whether it is to brain storm an idea or come up with a solution to a problem.

The communication software that I believe is useful in communication and collaboration is Skype. It is a great way to communicate through visual conferencing with someone else. There are a lot of business that use this technology so that they are able to communicate with people from all over the world.

I am so impressed with all the technology that is out there. The students that I teach today will never know the more simplistic things in life. I am already starting to see how a lot of things that I thought were so advanced when I was growing up become ancient. It is just so amazing how much the world of technology has changed. At the age of 28 I feel that I am really out of touch with technology and all the advances that are coming out each and every day. School just ended for me today and after doing the voice thread I am thinking about when I have a sub that I can leave the voice feed with the sub and the sub can teach what I want him/her to teach. I am taken back from all the technological advances.


Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

4 comments:

  1. Dedison,

    You think things seem advanced from the perspective of a 28 year old, you should see them from a 53 year olds perspective. I remember watching the space race on television and seeing the first man walk on the moon. I remember the size of the computers that they used at NASA, which were the size of rooms, and now I sit with this tiny laptop typing away about global communication, collaboration and 21st century learning tools with people across the country. Change is coming at us full force and teachers need to keep their students up to date and prepared for the next step ahead. It's an exciting time for all of us. I agree with you that social learning is of the utmost importance in this quest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that technology is ever changing! How do we keep up? In my school, technology courses used to be offered to teachers, but not anymore! I think I might volunteer to teach about some of these amazing things we have learned in this class.
    I also agree that our students are missing the simple things in life. I look back now and fondly think of the summers spent playing on the street with the neighbors and the nights catching fireflys...will these kids have this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arielle & Bonnie,

    I am not sure if the students will ever get back to the simpler things in life. I know that I look at my nephews and all they want to do is play video games. A lot of kids have lost their creativity and I am not sure if we will ever get that back. Those are the things that I miss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Desiree,
    I am excited about all the technology out there too. I can't believe the advanced technology that is available and so much of it free. My school just got out too, and I am already beginning to plan for next year. I am excited about using Voice Thread, virtual field trips, and web quest. I probably need to focus on one at time, but I am like a kid in a candy store. I want to use them all.

    ReplyDelete