Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blogging in Math

One way that I think that a blog would work in my classroom would be to use it as a question and answer session. There are a lot of students in my classes that I teach that I think are afraid to ask questions or they may get home and they might not know how to do something. I think that the blog would work great as a way for the students to ask each other questions for example on an upcoming test or quiz. The blog could be another way that I could communicate with the parents of students. As a seventh grader I think that they are old enough to be able to blog and take it seriously. Blogging is a new concept that I think will take off in the next couple of years with the advancement technology. So if I am able to teach them how to do it properly while they are in seventh grade I think that it will follow hem for the rest of their life in to college and the corporate world. Having a place where students would be able to go and possibly get notes from class when they miss or a possible podcast of a lesson would be a great resource for the students. Does anyone have a good idea of a way that a blog could be implemented into a seventh grade math class? Has anyone ever had difficulty getting approval from their school district for setting up a blog?

3 comments:

  1. I too would love to incorporate a blog in my classroom in some of the same ways you want to. I love the fact that it is a way that students will rarely miss anything if they are absent. What would you do about students that do not have internet access at home? That is one thing I can't seem to find away around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if you speak to your superiors and maybe adapt the form at the end of Chapter 1 from Richardson's book, you shouldn't have a problem with getting approval. I feel that you will have a harder time getting students' parents approval than the district. I could be mistaken, because I live in Mexico and things are completely different here, but that's my feeling. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tkoprowski,

    I have not yet come up with what I will do for those students that do not have internet access at thier homes. I am not sure how I will get around that.

    ReplyDelete